|Before finding Dr Aron|
|3 weeks into treatment|
Firstly, this Facebook page was only set up a few short months before I found it. After searching for years and coming up with no answers, I had blindly followed the advice of the medical professionals who all agreed on the same method - moisturising, topical steroids combined with long-term oral antibiotics to treat infections, I trusted that there was no other option. Secondly, I discovered that the brilliant doctor had not set this group up himself, some amazing, selfless parents, whose children had ended their suffering using Dr Aron's regime, had set up a Facebook group to help other parents discover this regime. Thirdly, Dr Aron practises in South Africa and the UK and began online consultations in 2008 to allow patients globally to benefit from his method. The only problem, was that his website was not easy to find. This is why the Facebook group was started.
TSA, TSW and RSS
I have also learned about something called TSA which is an acronym for Topical Steroid Addiction and TSW which is an acronym for Topical Steroid Withdrawal. Also RSS wich is an acronym for Red Skin Syndrome. To read more about TSA, TSW and RSS, click on this link - What is TSA, TSW and RSS?
- Due to the severity of her skin, we started on 6 applications per day for 5 days.
- We then reduced to 4 applications per day for a period of 7 days.
- Then we reduced further, to 3 applications per day, with 1 extra application on stubborn areas i.e. arm creases, behind knees and ankles. This continued for 2 weeks.
- We then reduced to 2 apps per day for 10 days.
- Tomato then had a very slight flare and we went back to 5 applications per day for 4 days.
- Then we went down to 3 applications for 10 days and reduced to 2 applications for 4 weeks. At this point Dr Aron stressed that we should not become over-confident as eczema does flare and due to the severity that Tomato had experienced for years, we needed to reduce very slowly to allow the skin to remain non-reactive.
- After 3 months we are now down to 2-1-2-1-2-1 meaning one day 2 applications and the next 1 application, the next 2 etc etc. We are on the 3rd day and her skin looks like it is maintaining. We will remain on this for the next 4 weeks.
Unless you have been to that dark place that a parent of a child with eczema has, you cannot fully understand. Many times in those dark years, I had thoughts of leaving, just running away. Many times, due to years of sleep deprivation and continuous screaming and clawing and bleeding I wanted to give up. I would read terrible stories of desperate mothers, who like us, had no support, who were also awake night after night after night with difficult children, who couldn't see an end to the suffering and killed their children to put an end to the madness. I certainly don't condone that behaviour, but unlike most "normal" people living "normal" lives, I understood the desperation that those moms felt. I am so grateful that I was strong enough to never be tempted to do something like that. I sympathised, often causing friends to think I was crazy. Often I would think "there, but for the grace of God, go I."
Looking Towards the Beautiful Bright Future
Eczema is not only a disease of the skin,
it's a disease of the soul
Thanks for reading!
If you would like to follow my blog, please sign up on the right hand side of this page. You can now also be informed by email each time I post.
Feel free to leave a comment!